Tuesday 20 March 2012

I Love Lucite

I've never been much of a one for flowers, but recently I discovered lucite flowers and now I'm hooked.

There were two sizes available on Beads Direct last time they had a sale - and since the medium ones are an inch across I'd hate to see the size of large ones!

The first thing I made was a bookmark form Mothers Day. I attached a length of chain to the top of the hook, with a leaf at the end and three blue flowers randomly clustered for a naturalistic look.


I also spent some time this weekend making jewellery. There were only two of the medium flowers in white, and they looked really good with small black flower centres, so I paired them up and made a set of earrings. Because the hole runs through the middle the flowers tend to hang straight down, so I added a length of chain to the eye pin loops at the front and back to keep them facing forward.


Also at the weekend, I picked up an elasticated bracelet covered with butterflies. It was horrible, because all the beads were silver and it looked really monochrome. Personally I'd have gone with silver butterflies and brightly-coloured beads. But I already had an idea for the butterflies: to hang one asymmetrically on a necklace, so it formed a part of the chain, then add a dangle of some flowers. So I dismantled the bracelet and did that instead. Then with some smaller lucite flowers, and small butterflies from the same bracelet, made a pair of matching earrings.


 


I quite like making sets, I'm thinking about doing something similar in blue to wear myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment